GTA4.TV - Your Source For GTA IV! - Monday Banner!
Latest News > Huge GTA:Chinatown Wars Artwork

Huge GTA:Chinatown Wars Artwork

You may remember that one method Rockstar used to advertise GTA: IV was to place 3 giant promotional images on the side of a hotel in California. Well they've done it again; this time for Chinatown Wars, the latest instalment of the GTA series released on the Nintendo DS.

Here's one view of the artwork:

Here's the other view of the image.

You've got to agree that this looks absolutely stunning.

I believe this hotel is located at 939 S. Figueroa St., Los Angeles, CA, so if you want to have a look on Google Maps or if you're in the area yourself, you might want to check this out.

Thanks to Rappzula who captured these photos and uploaded them to his Flickr Page.

Posted On 06th Apr 2009 By Zen
Comments The last comment was posted on 10th Apr 2009 by Psy
View All http://www.gta4.tv/forums/index.php?showtopic=791683

Comment by marney1 posted on 06th Apr 2009:

Why is nobody posting replies here?
I mean its a brilliant topic!
Its fantastic!
Its unbelievable!
I'm gonna pass out with excitement!

THUD!

Comment by OptimumPx posted on 07th Apr 2009:

How is this a 'approach to advertising the latest installment' when they've done the exact same thing before?

I figure Rockstar owns the Hotel at this point. smile.gif

Comment by Massacre posted on 07th Apr 2009:

Now that I can see both murals, the CW one looks way too bright and vivid. But, that's usually how DS and Wii games are...

Comment by rappo posted on 07th Apr 2009:

Yeah it's definitely a lot more vivid, although today was a much clearer day than when I took that GTA IV mural picture so that may have contributed a bit to the colors tongue.gif

Also to the topic starter, since I apparently don't have privileges to send you a private message: I'd appreciate it if you could cite your source, which is my flickr page, which also states the Creative Commons license under which I publish photos. Thanks!

Comment by marney1 posted on 07th Apr 2009:

QUOTE(rappo @ Apr 7 2009, 05:56 AM) View Original Post

Joined April '08 and only one post???

Comment by Zen posted on 07th Apr 2009:

QUOTE(rappo @ Apr 7 2009, 05:56 AM) View Original Post

Hi there, I've added the source to the main post. My apologies for leaving that out.

Good pics. smile.gif

Comment by rappo posted on 07th Apr 2009:

No worries! ...and thanks! I think the ad has been there for a while, but I didn't see it until this weekend. Much more noticeable than the GTA IV one, but I still don't understand this sort of advertising. They really hardly focus on the game at all, it's more just about the huge artwork. At least the GTA IV logo was a little higher so that you could see it from the freeway, but I don't think you can actually see "Chinatown Wars" unless you're stopped dead in traffic - you'll only know what it is if you've followed the game already. I suppose they get the audience of the street traffic, but I'm sure they're paying a hell of a lot more for the ad than they're getting in revenue because of it. I think it might just be for bragging rights...

Comment by Psy posted on 10th Apr 2009:

When I was in NYC last year for the GTA4 launch, one of the Rockstar guys told me that they rented out this building for $50,000 a year or something, and they can put whatever they want on the wall:

That amount of cash is pretty much nothing for them, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have similar deals with other buildings around the states.